CCAB is proud to introduce the Hydro One Business Grant.
Hydro One is committed to supporting Indigenous-owned businesses in Ontario. This program will help to further empower Indigenous businesses by awarding 28 recipients with grants and CCAB membership.
Together, we will provide support to help Indigenous-owned businesses thrive as many have experienced challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The grant is administered through CCAB’s Tools and Financing for Aboriginal Business (TFAB) program to enhance Aboriginal entrepreneurship through providing access to development and networks. This program supports Hydro One’s commitment to economic reconciliation through our recent commitment to achieving a target of 5% of our overall annual spend with Indigenous businesses by 2026. Learn more.
Indigenous-owned businesses headquartered in Ontario are invited to apply to one of two grant levels.
- Level 1: $2,500 grant + CCAB membership, 20 grants will be awarded by a live draw.
- Level 2: $7,500 grant + CCAB membership, more detailed application and completed applications will be reviewed by a jury and 8 grants will be awarded.
Learn about the benefits of CCAB membership here.
Successful applicants will receive:
The application process will close on Monday, September 13, 2021 at 4:00PM EST.
All completed applicants for Level 1 will have their company business name entered into a lottery. A live draw prior to September 30, 2021 will be made at which time we will select 20 recipients. A link to view the live draw will be sent to all applicants after the application process has closed.
All completed applicants for Level 2 will have their applications reviewed by a jury and 8 recipients will be selected.
Both levels will require the same supporting documents, however those applying to Level 2 will have more questions pertaining to your business model and capabilities.
The business must be at least 51% owned and controlled by an Indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) person/persons.
The for-profit business must be registered in Ontario.
Your business is only allowed to apply to either Level 1 or Level 2, you cannot apply to both.
For individuals with more than one business, applications will only be accepted for one business.
Supporting Documents Required
To proceed with your application, please review the required documentation. In fields where documents are required, you will not be able to proceed without uploading the relevant documents.
If you are currently an existing Certified Aboriginal Business (CAB) in good standing, in sections where documents need to be uploaded instead of the supporting documents please upload a copy of your CAB certificate.
To help you apply for the grant, below is a check list of all the documents and information you will need to complete the application. Please do not start an application unless you have all the information noted below readily available:
- Name of the Indigenous owner who has 51% or more ownership (proof of Indigenous ancestry required)
- Legal name of business and date established
- Legal structure of the business (proof of ownership documents will be required)
- Number of employees (includes full and part-time employees)
- Business description
Proof of Acceptable documents include the following:
- Indian status card
- Métis National Council Governing Membership
- Inuit Beneficiary card
Or, valid identification provided by the following:
- Congress of Aboriginal Peoples (CAP) affiliate membership
- Northwest Territories Land Claim Settlement Beneficiaries
- Alberta Métis Settlement Members
- Northwest Territory Métis Nation Membership
- Membership in a historic Métis community recognized as independent and rights-bearing by a provincial or Canadian federal government
Proof of ownership and control documents demonstrating a minimum 51% Aboriginal ownership; acceptable documents pertaining to your business structure include:
- Master Business License or provincial/territorial equivalent
- Articles of Incorporation
- Shareholders Agreement
- Shareholders Registry
- Corporate Tax Return – Schedule 50 if available
- Partnership Agreement